Course Specific Research Support for CG 130: Home
Today's Careers course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Course Description:
"Covers ways of gathering information about specific occupations.
From the Outcomes Assessment Strategies:
- Utilize electronic and print career resources to research and report on occupations relevant to the individual.
- Research and identify training programs for specific occupations.
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Understand how describe an area interest, to define a topic to search for, and alternative search terms
- Skim result lists to locate relevant sources, when search terms are not in the titles or abstracts
- Use metacognition to adapt topic definition and search strategy
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for CG130
- Navigate library website to locate relevant sources, including career guidebooks, articles, and other information tools
- Evaluate sources for relevance and currency
- Identify information required for attribution, from various types of sources
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Locate and use databases for vocational and career information
- Identify producers of current and reliable career information
- Track elements for attributing sources
Knowledge Practices and Dispositions
Oregon Library Standards Learning Goals
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.