Family and Human Services: Get Started
In this Guide
This guide is designed to help students do research on human services-related topics, and to help students and faculty discover the resources available through the library.
Use the tabs above to navigate through the other pages of the guide:
Introduction to the Library Website and Library Services
This 5:24 video provides an overview of the library website and highlights some of the Library's most popular collections and services.
Find Books, Articles, DVDs, and more
Best Databases for Finding Articles for HUS Research
Search these databases to find articles on topics related to human services, mental health, children and families, gerontology, and more.
- Academic Search Premier This link opens in a new windowFull text for more than 4,500 scholarly social sciences, humanities, general science, education and multi-cultural journals. 3,700 are peer-reviewed.
- Psychology Resources This link opens in a new windowSearch EBSCOhost's Psychology Collection, Academic Search Premier, and MasterFile Premier at the same time. Topics in the Psychology Collection include emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry and psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational and experimental methods.
- PsycINFO This link opens in a new windowStart here if you are looking for scholarly (peer-reviewed) psychology articles. PsycINFO is the single most comprehensive psychology article collection. Full-text articles from PsycARTICLES are included here. View the PsycINFO handout [pdf].
- Google Scholar This link opens in a new windowGoogle Scholar searches the web for scholarly articles, reports, books, and other materials. You will need to add PCC as your library in your Google Scholar preferences to get links to PCC Library resources.
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowFull text of over 1000 scholarly journals in the arts and sciences, from their earliest issues up to 3-5 years ago. Does not include current issues of the journals. Video tutorials are available.
- PTSDpubs This link opens in a new windowThis database is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs and focuses on the mental health consequences of exposure to traumatic events. Subject coverage includes traumatic stress and mental health, assessment, prevention, treatment, mental health services, professional ethics, public policy, and traumatized populations.
- Ageline This link opens in a new windowAgeLine focuses exclusively on the population aged 50 and issues of aging. It includes aging-related content from the Health Science, psychology, sociology, social work, economics, and public policy.
- GenderWatch This link opens in a new windowFocusing on how gender impacts diverse subject areas, resources include scholarly journals, magazines, newspapers, newsletters, as well as NGO and government publications. Archival material from as early as 1970 provides a historical perspective on the women's movement, men's studies, the transgendered community, and changes in gender roles. View the GenderWatch handout
- Gender Studies (Gale OneFile) This link opens in a new windowThis collection of more than 30 journals aims to provide balanced coverage of this significant aspect of our culture, covering such topics as gender studies, family and marital issues, health aspects, and many more.
Chat with a Librarian
Need to talk to a librarian? Use our chat system. Click the button to open the chat window.Chat with a Librarian!
Related Research Guides
HUS 101: Introduction to Human Services
by Meredith Farkas Last Updated Apr 19, 2023 335 views this year
by Meredith Farkas Last Updated Apr 19, 2023 1186 views this year
Portland Metro and Oregon Research
by Meredith Farkas Last Updated Apr 19, 2023 185 views this year
Early Education and Family Studies
by Meredith Farkas Last Updated Apr 19, 2023 97 views this year
by Marianne Tanner Last Updated May 16, 2023 443 views this year
by Jennifer Rogers Last Updated Apr 19, 2023 145 views this year
by Meredith Farkas Last Updated Apr 19, 2023 849 views this year