Course Specific Research Support for WR 90: Home
Writing 90 course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Locate library search to identify available books and articles
- Set up account to use library computers, and locate staff who can answer technical questions
- Understand that different types of sources are created over time, and for different purposes
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for WR 90
- Locate text to analyze for themes to respond to
- Use productivity software to compose essays
- Acknowledge use of outside sources
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Use library search to locate books and articles
- Use computers in library labs, and recognize staff who can answer technical questions
- Identify indicators of authority, currency, and location for listing sources used
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.