WR 121 Cowan: 2) Find a topic
Find a Pacific Northwest Environmental Topic
This assignment involves researching an important, local environmental issue in our region. The best choice for a topic is one that you find interesting and what to learn more about! Browse for ideas from the links below.
Local environmental advocacy groups
Environmental experts and advocates share their expertise through presentations such as TED Talks. Film makers present their analysis of environmental issues through documentaries. Here are some examples of media sources for researching environmental issues.
Local news and media sources
PCC 2021 Climate Action Plan
PCC’s 2021 Climate Action Plan: Resiliency, Equity and Education for a Just Transition is the college’s five-year roadmap towards climate justice. The 2021 plan establishes a new carbon neutrality goal of 2040. The college adopted its first climate action plan in 2009, which was updated and expanded in 2013. The 2021 plan includes the following goals:
- By 2026, PCC has reduced college energy consumption per square foot by 60% below 2006 levels.
- By 2026, PCC has reduced its scope 1 and 2 greenhouse gas emissions by 75% below 2006 levels, through decarbonization of its energy sources.
- By 2026, PCC has reduced college fleet fuel emissions by 25% below 2006 levels.
- By 2026, PCC has reduced commuter and business travel greenhouse gas impacts per full time equivalent by 20% below the 2006 baseline.
- By 2026, PCC purchaser and vendor contracts align with PCC’s diversity, equity and inclusion, sustainability and climate action goals and values to ensure long-term viability of PCC’s enterprise.
- By 2026, PCC has reduced the college’s water consumption per square foot by 10% below 2019 levels.
- By 2026, PCC has reduced greenhouse gas emissions from solid waste by 50% below 2006 levels.
Additional goals promote education and outreach, and resiliency. Read the full plan:
2021 Climate Action Plan