WR 227 Alessandrelli: Find Books
Find Books, Articles, DVDs, and more
Getting a book from the PCC Library
- Enter a search in the PCC Library search box.
- If the book you want has a linked message starting with Available at..., and the book is available on your home campus, write down the location and call number.
- If the book is available from another campus, click on the "Request" button in the "Get It" section, (NOTE: You will need to login with your MyPCC username and password after clicking the blue "Sign in" button to see the "Request" button), and specify the campus to which you'd like the book to be sent.
- If the book is not available from PCC, you can order it from Summit using the "Request from another Summit library (about 5 days)" button (located in the "Get It" section); and if not available from Summit, request it through Interlibrary Loan.
Getting a book we don't have through Summit
If we don't have a book, chances are we can get it for you!
When you find an item with a "Request from another library" message that means the book is not in our collection or is checked out. You may be able to request the book from a library in our region. If you don't see the "Request from another Summit library (about 5 days)" link button, you will need to log in with your MyPCC username and password after you click the blue "Sign in" button.
Items requested through Summit can be delivered to any PCC Library at no cost for pick-up in 2-5 days. An email to your MyPCC account will notify you when your item is ready for pick up. PCC students and staff can visit any Summit library and borrow items directly with your PCC photo ID. Return your borrowed items to any PCC library.
Video: How to search for books at PCC Library
Learn how to use Portland Community College Library's search to find books and other items at PCC Library.
Video: How to request a book from another library through PCC Library
Learn how to request a book or other item from another library (via the Summit system) or another campus through Portland Community College Library.
Finding Books Using Subject Headings
Books are essential to researchers and often provide a strong overview of a topic. One way to find books on your topic is to use a keyword search to find relevant subjects.
For example, I searched the keyword phrase college study skills in the PCC Library search box. The first result seemed very relevant, a book called College study skills : becoming a strategic learner. I clicked on the linked title of the book, then scrolled to the Item Details heading to view the Subjects you see below. Clicking on a linked subject will get me quickly to more books on the same topic.
Looking for ebooks?
The PCC Library provides access to many ebooks. To find ebooks in the library:
Enter a search in the main search box on the library homepage.
On the results page, on the left-hand side of the page, find the Format section and check the eBooks box.
Click the Apply Filters button.
To access an ebook, click the Online Access link under the title information.
Video: How to find course reserves through PCC Library
Learn how to find items on reserve for your course through PCC Library.
Ebooks and Audiobooks with Overdrive and Libby
Some of PCC Library's audiobooks and ebooks are now available through a service called OverDrive. You can borrow these books through either the OverDrive app or the Libby App. Download these apps at the links below.
- Screenreader users: Overdrive is easier to navigate with a screenreader than Libby.
- Have a public library card? You can use the apps to search the PCC Overdrive collection and the titles available through your public library at the same time. Learn more about getting a public library card (if you don't have one) and accessing popular audio and ebooks through local public libraries.
Download the Overdrive and Libby Apps:
Browse PCC's Audiobooks and Ebooks:
- OverDrive This link opens in a new windowPCC Library provides access to a small collection of ebooks and streaming audiobooks, both fiction and non-fiction. You can use an internet browser or a mobile app to listen to audiobooks.