WR 227 Alessandrelli: Technical Writing Guides
Course guide for WR 227 with Jeff Alessandrelli
Technical Writing Guides
- Purdue OWL Professional Writing GuideThese OWL resources will help you conduct research and compose documents for the workplace, such as memoranda and business letters. This section also includes resources for writing report and scientific abstracts.
- Collabera: What Are The Different Types of Technical Writing?Explains the purpose of different kinds of technical writing and describes unique features of each. Includes list of frequently used technical writing tools.
- 17 Awesome Technical Writing Tools For Documenting InformationIdentifies and explains frequently used tools for writing, editing, drawing, reviewing, and rewriting.
- Technical WritersCareer information from the Occupational Outlook Handbook from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- PCC Reading & Writing CenterThe Reading and Writing Center is here to assist with any reading or writing task. Each visit is an opportunity to receive one-on-one, real-time feedback with a highly qualified, supportive PCC tutor.
Guides for Specific Types of Technical Writing
- Inside the world of instruction manualsDiscusses the history and different styles of instruction manuals and how they continue to evolve to meet changing needs and formats.
- Tips for writing user manualsUser manuals have a bad reputation. In a recent USA Today poll that asked readers "Which technological things have the ability to confuse you?" user manuals came out top! Increasingly companies are rethinking the way they approach user manuals. Here are some suggestions for improving the usability of user manuals based on our experience writing them.
- How to Write a Standard Operating Procedure: More Than a Simple ProcessThere is no official standard operating procedure document that will teach you how to write an SOP. But there are some steps you can follow that will help you to organize your thoughts and plan the most effective path to standardizing your procedures.
- White papers versus case studiesDescribes the differences between white papers and case studies and explains why you would use one over the other.
- API Documentation Best PracticesThese guidelines how write documentation for APIs to be easy and user-friendly enough that developers will actually use them.
- How to Write a Press ReleaseWhat should a press release include? How to end a press release? And what about the press release format? These and other questions are answered by these guidelines.
- Business Documents: Definition, Types, Benefits & Steps to Create Them!Explains different business documents and how to write them: files, documents, papers, books, reports, records, letters, etc. related to the business.
- How to write an annual reportAn annual report is a comprehensive overview of the performance of a non-profit organization. They are also a major opportunity to promote, market, and advance a non-profit's mission.
- Write your business planYour business plan is the foundation of your business. Learn how to write a business plan quickly and efficiently with a business plan template.
Technical Writing Examples to Inspire You
Books on Technical Writing
- So, You Have to Write a Literature Review byCall Number: eBook (Wiley Online Ebooks)ISBN: 9781119555063Grounded in English (composition, rhetoric, and writing studies), engineering education, and technical communication research, this book teaches writing from a genre theory lens. This lens allows writers to focus on how the purpose of sentences or paragraphs interacts with the other content and with the disciplinary expectations for writing for specific audiences. The text is organized so that readers can customize their learning pace.
- Technical Writing, Simplified byCall Number: Rock Creek Main Collection 808.0666 J64t 2017ISBN: 9781543268485This book focuses on the essentials. It offers easily understood models (over 40 sample documents) and clear instruction, with a straightforward structure that makes it easy for the student to work through the book, adding knowledge while practicing different forms and skills.
- How to Write and Present Technical Information, 4th Edition byCall Number: Southeast Main Collection 808.0666 S53h 2017ISBN: 9781440855054Professional communications are the "information product" of all organizations and businesses. Based on that premise, this book offers communications strategies that will benefit any organization that disseminates technical information in-house and/or to customers. It provides easy-to-understand and apply guidelines for designing and writing effective technical documents, as well as other related communications. The book has been updated to encompass contemporary technology and trends, including communication tools such as social media