In this Guide
This guide is designed to help students do research in cultural anthropology, physical anthropology and archaeology, and to help students and faculty discover anthropology resources available through the library.
Use the tabs above to navigate through the other pages of the guide:
- Find Books & Articles - Find books and articles in geography available through the library and beyond.
- GIS & Visualization - Sources on the web and in the library related to GIS and data visualization. Includes a lot of data resources.
- Portland/Oregon Data - Useful sources for Portland or Oregon research.
- Maps - Local, state, and national map sources.
- Cite Sources - Tips and tools for citing sources and avoiding plagiarism.
- Get Help - Get help from a librarian 24x7, get support from a tutor, or find a handout or tutorial to help you with your research.
Map c1577 by John Beswick. Used under CC BY.
Find Books, DVDs, and more
The Library search box is your starting point to find books, ebooks, DVDs, and other materials.
Can Geographic Information Make You Healthy?
Search these databases to find articles on topics related to geography. I would also suggest looking at the full list of library databases, as geographical research can be multidisciplinary. Some research projects might require searching areas such as geology, environmental science, history, sociology, and anthropology.
Academic Search Premier
Full text for more than 4,500 scholarly social sciences, humanities, general science, education and multi-cultural journals. 3,700 are peer-reviewed.
Full text of over 1000 scholarly journals in the arts and sciences, from their earliest issues up to 3-5 years ago. Does not include current issues of the journals. Video tutorials are available.
Searches the academic scholarly web for peer-reviewed papers, theses, books, and articles. Searching Google Scholar from Portland Community College (following this link to Google Scholar preferences
and selecting Save will set it up in your browser) will identify articles available from the PCC Library.
While this is primarily a science database, it does contain some valuable Geography journals -- such as Political Geography, the Journal of Historical Geography, Spatial Statistics, and Applied Geography -- as well as many regional and urban planning journals.