Art: Get Started
Subject resource guide for art
In this guide
This guide is designed to help students and artists do research and find resources for art.
Use the tabs above to navigate through the other pages of the guide:
- Find Books - Get books available through the library and beyond.
- Find Articles - Find articles about art, art movements or artists.
- Find Images - Sources for looking for images from library resources and the internet.
- Additional Resources - Includes links to museum sites, writing an artist's statement and other art resources.
- Get Help - Get help from a librarian 24x7, get support from a tutor, or find a handout or tutorial to help you with your research.
Pantone Color Test Image by © Sarah Klockars-Clauser for openphoto.net
Images, Articles & Information Databases
- PCC Visual Resource CollectionThe PCC Visual Resource Collection was created to enhance the studio and art history curriculum at Portland Community College. The collection contains traditional survey images, along with images of architectural, design and art historical significance not available anywhere else, including art process images, images of work in the PCC campus art collections and images collected on faculty research trips.
- Oxford Art Online This link opens in a new windowLimited to 5 concurrent users. Features over 45,000 articles and images covering every aspect of the visual arts. There are over 7,000 searchable images from the Metropolitan Museum of Art as well as links to other museums and galleries.
- ARTstor This link opens in a new windowARTstor Includes more than 1.5 million images covering art, architecture and archeology. ARTstor's software tools support viewing and analyzing images through features such as zooming and panning, saving groups of images online for personal or shared uses, and creating and delivering presentations both online and offline. You must register to save any images for future reference and to use ARTstor's sophisticated presentation tools. You also must register to access ARTstor from off-campus.
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowFull text of over 1000 scholarly journals in the arts and sciences, from their earliest issues up to 3-5 years ago. Does not include current issues of the journals. Video tutorials are available.
- Fine Arts (Gale OneFile) This link opens in a new windowProvides more than 150 full-text magazines and journals that are covered in indices such as the Wilson Art Index and RILM, this collection will provide support for research in areas such as drama, music, art history, and filmmaking.
Streaming Art Films
- Art and Architecture films from Films on DemandAll the videos in the Art and Architecture collection of Films on Demand collection are available to stream online.
- Visual Art films from Kanopy Streaming VideosBrowse all the videos available in the Kanopy Streaming Videos collection using the "Browse Subjects" area or using the search box.