Teaching in the Community College
A collection of resources that support continuous learning for our community of educators.
- Becoming a Critically Reflective Teacher by Stephen D. BrookfieldPublication Date: 1995
- How College Works by Daniel F. Chambliss; Christopher G. TakacsCall Number: ebook and 378 C43h 2014 at RC and SY LibraryPublication Date: 2014
- Small Teaching by James M. LangCall Number: ebook and 370.1523 L36s 2016Publication Date: 2016
Selected interdisciplinary journals on teaching practice
- Journal of Applied Research in the Community CollegeArticles relating to the integration of research and theory to practice in community colleges.
- Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and LearningArticles on effective practices in teaching and learning in higher education. Interdisciplinary, peer-reviewed.
- New Directions for Community CollegesOffers practical recommendations on current trends in the field of community college education
- Race, Ethnicity and Education"Race Ethnicity and Education is the leading peer-reviewed journal on racism and race inequality in education. The journal provides a focal point for international scholarship, research and debate by publishing original and challenging research that explores the dynamics of race, racism and ethnicity in education policy, theory and practice. "
- Radical TeacherFounded in 1975, Radical Teacher is a socialist, feminist, and anti-racist journal dedicated to the theory and practice of teaching.
- The Teaching ProfessorCovers a wide range of teaching topics relevant to the college classroom, including innovative strategies, techniques, and approaches that facilitate learning.
- Whiteness and Education"Whiteness and Education publishes outstanding and original manuscripts that advance critical understandings of the construction and deployment of Whiteness in educational contexts. This includes, but is not limited to, critical discussions of White racism, White identity, privilege, power and intersectionality."
Databases on teaching
- ERIC (Educational Resource Information Center) This link opens in a new windowERIC, the Educational Resource Information Center from the U.S. Dept. of Education, lists journal articles and educational documents (lesson plans, studies, etc.). 1966 - present.
- PsycINFO This link opens in a new windowStart here if you are looking for scholarly (peer-reviewed) psychology articles. PsycINFO is the single most comprehensive psychology article collection. Full-text articles from PsycARTICLES are included here. View the PsycINFO handout [pdf].
Find Articles with EBSCO
Find articles in this search of Academic Search Premier and MasterFILE Premier
Find Articles with Google Scholar
Before searching, be sure to set PCC as your library in your browser by:
- Visiting the link to set "Library Links" settings for Google Scholar,
- using the search box to search for "Portland Community College",
- checking the check box that appears underneath the search to select “Portland Community College – Find it @ PCC”,
- and then selecting the Save button.
This will ensure that when you search Google Scholar in your browser, you will see Find It @ PCC links to full text if we have the article (Google Scholar sometimes also provides links to other free sources for full text).
You can learn more about setting Google Scholar preferences on the PCC Library Website.
Google ScholarGoogle Scholar searches the web for scholarly articles, reports, books, and other materials. If using Google Scholar from a PCC campus, you can access full text articles. If PCC has access to an article, a "Find it @ PCC" link will appear to the right of the search result. Click “Find it @ PCC” to go to the library catalog where you will be offered a choice to view the article. From home, you will need to set your Google Scholar preferences to access PCC Library resources. See How to Search PCC Library on Google Scholar for directions on how to set your Google Scholar preferences at home.
- Last Updated: May 2, 2022 9:32 AM
- URL: https://guides.pcc.edu/teaching
- Print Page