Accessible Ed & Disability Resources: Find Sources
Professional Development, Training, and Awareness Building Opportunities
Featured resources related to disability:
- Academic Ableism: Disability and Higher Education by Timothy Dolmage
- It's Our Story
- NY Times series on Disability - Essays, art and opinion exploring the lives of people living with disabilities.
- Inside Higher Ed GradHacker article on Building a Universal Teaching Environment
- An Introduction to Race, Gender, and Disability: Intersectionality, Disability studies and Families of ColorThis article from Project Muse "disavow(s) from the outset the idea that “disability,” “race,” “gender,” or “family” are monolithic constructs that can be interrogated on their own." This article isn't available through PCC Library, but you can request the article through interlibrary loan at this link: https://www.pcc.edu/library/interlibrary-loan/
- Whiteness, Normal Theory and Disability StudiesDisability studies scholars can learn much about disability and ableism by proposing a corollary to whiteness theories, that is, normal theories, as a way to unpack and dismantle the unspoken language of normative ideologies that create disability as a social category.
- Just how much diversity will the law permitIn addition to anti-discrimination statutes, attention to marginalized groups evolved to include larger networks of academic and co-curricular support such as formations of identity centers, cultural events, fields of study and scholarships yet disability is largely absent from this work as much of higher education maintains a singular focus on legal compliance.
- Dis/ability critical race studiesDis/ability critical race studies (DisCrit): theorizing at the intersections of race and dis/ability
- Why I Burned My Book and Other Essays on Disability byISBN: 1592130240Publication Date: 2003-04-01
- Claiming Disability byISBN: 0814751342Publication Date: 1998-01-01
- Nothing about Us Without Us byISBN: 0520224817Publication Date: 2000-08-30
- The Disability Studies Reader byISBN: 0415630525Publication Date: 2013-02-08
- Being Heumann byISBN: 9780807019290Publication Date: 2020-02-25
Find Books, Articles, DVDs, and more
The following list includes scholarly journals featuring research and criticism of disability services, disability studies, and accessibility of teaching and learning, as well as publications featuring disability as a lived experience:
The following links will take you to books, videos and other library materials on that topic in the library catalog: