COMM 111 Martin: Get Started
Get Topic Ideas
When selecting an academic topic to explore, follow your curiosity. What do you want to learn more about? Something in the area of politics? culture? science? technology? human relationships? Here are some resources that will help you browse for an academic topic:
Questions to Ask About Your Topic
As you start doing general reading to get an overview of your topic, here are some questions you may want to answer in your note-taking:
- What interests me about this topic?
- What questions do I have about this topic?
- Who is affected by this? Who cares about this?
- What are the major issues involved in this topic? Are there particular controversies or viewpoints of note?
- What key terms describe this topic or are there organizations or people should I be aware of?
Turning an Interest into a Research Question
In this video, you’ll learn how to turn something you find interesting into a researchable question for a college research project.