Course Specific Research Support for HIM 182: Home
Health Care Delivery Systems course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome Assessment Strategies:
"Demonstrate ability to research information on current trends in health care delivery and present it in written and oral form."
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Develop a search strategy for a particular topic
- Navigate to useful search tools, including library sources
- Understand that subject heading or controlled vocabulary searching is more specific
- Use appropriate search limiters
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for HIM 182
1. Apply a search strategy when looking for information related to health care delivery
2. Use controlled vocabulary in database searches (MeSH)
3. Identify indicators of reliability for information sources
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
1. Set up search strategy with controlled vocabulary in library database search
2. Select informative and readable sources from database search results based on concepts related to search terms
3. Identify and access journals and information providers from the profession
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.