Course Specific Research Support for HIM 283: Home
Health Information Systems course outcomes related to research skills
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome Assessment Strategies:
"Research and evaluate a current health information management technology and make recommendations on whether to purchase it."
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Develop a search strategy for a particular topic
- Navigate to useful search tools, including library sources
- Understand that subject heading or controlled vocabulary searching is more specific
- Use appropriate search limiters
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for HIM 283
1. Identify indicators of reliability for analyzing health information systems
2. Identify and locate sources for industry related, professional level information
3. Use controlled vocabulary in database searches (MeSH)
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
1. Set up search strategy with controlled vocabulary in library database searches
2. Identify and access commercial and regulatory agency information providers relevant to health information management
3. Locate industry specific journals and professional level information providers
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.