RA (Reading Apprenticeship)
- Community of Practice: RA
- RA Topics
- Librarians and RA
Framework for Information Literacy for Higher Education (2015) : Community College View
6 frames of I.L. for Portland Community College Library is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Improving Library Instruction with RA
- Adding Reading Strategies to Your IL ToolkitMargy MacMillan and Stephanie Rosenblatt look at college level reading and role for librarians.
- Designer LibrarianAmanda Hovius lists RA techniques to use in library instruction
- Metacognition in community college information literacy instruction: Reading Apprenticeship in an online library course.Colleen Sanders. Masters' Thesis. Western Governors University. 2021.
- Think Aloud Biological Science databaseLibrarian uses metacognitive moves to evaluate search results from a library database, and build search strategy by noticing concepts and tracking her ideas.Pam Kessinger, 2021
Inquiry in library instruction, for search terms
Further examples from Pierce college librarians, Rachel Goon and Zoe Fisher, in their presentation to the regional RA conference at Renton Tech College. Their presentation, From Inquiry Questions to Search Terms introduces "Talking to the Text" to compare literary criticism between two types of Reference books, and the use of "Think Aloud" to determine the credibility of sources. They used a group work exercise where they had students place a dot on a linear scale before, and then after the Think Aloud, in looking at the article, "10 Reasons to Have a Beer" from Men's Health (see slide 5 of the article).
- From Inquiry Questions to Search TermsZoe Fisher and Rachel Goon, Pierce College (WA). 2015
Inquiry based learning in the "one-shot"
Zoe Fisher, Pierce College (Tacoma) incorporates RA strategies into her inquiry based learning approach to her 50 minute library instruction sessions. Some examples are in her presentation to the Library Instruction of the West (2014) conference, Live the Question, Love the Question. She starts with the Evidence/Inquiry log, and uses a "What I know/What I want to know" reflection along with think/pair/share.
Reading Apprenticeship at PCC
- Metacognition and Reading to Bridge Students Toward InquiryPreconference slides, Oregon Library Association Annual Conference. With Theresa Love and Bill Bogart.
- Presentation to LILAC about scaffolding topic selectionMarch 22, 2016
“What are you looking for? Scaffolding topic selection.” Librarian’s Information Literacy Annual Conference (LILAC). University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
- RD 115 Think AloudVideo of a Think Aloud for a library sources search
- What is Information Literacy?Video interview with Theresa Love, Reading 115 instructor and RA practitioner
- Last Updated: Mar 22, 2023 8:47 AM
- URL: https://guides.pcc.edu/RA
- Print Page