GEO 206 Geography of Oregon: Portland/Oregon Data
So. Much. Data!
While there are a lot of data sources listed here, this is really just scratching the surface. There are so many more data clearinghouses and datasets collected through academic research and by government agencies that you can find online. Be sure to also do a regular web search for your topic with the terms dataset or data or shapefile or even statistics (examples: portland parks shapefile, oregon traffic data, portland heat island dataset).
- Statistical Abstract of the United States This link opens in a new windowA comprehensive statistical reference on the economic, social and political organization of the United States.
- Census DataPrimary online interface for viewing US Census data, including population, housing, economic, geographic, and governmental data.
- Neighborhood Profile MapsDemographic data for each Portland neighborhood and comparing data from 2020 to 2010.
- National Historic GIS Census Data and Mapping TablesFrom this web site you can access aggregate census data and GIS-compatible boundary files for the United States between 1790 and 2010 for free. To download data, you will need to register.
- U.S. Census Bureau Geography ProgramYou can access geographic data and products such as the TIGER/Line Shapefiles, KMLs, TIGERweb, cartographic boundary files, geographic relationship files, and reference and thematic maps.
- Oregon Open DataSearch a wealth of datasets from the State of Oregon. Or browse on the data catalog. Contains lots of Portland-specific data sets.
- Oregon Spatial Data LibraryPart of Oregon Explorer, the Oregon Spatial Data Library provides easy and convenient ways to find, access and share geospatial data.
- Oregon Geospatial Data ClearinghouseIncludes the State of Oregon Spatial Data Library, Digital Ortho Quads, Digital Elevation Model (DEM) files, and other geospatial datasets.
- Data for Local CommunitiesStatistical, spatial, and descriptive information about the cities, counties and other civil, economic and natural regions of Oregon and Washington.
- Oregon Explorer: Natural Resources Digital Library DataOregon Explorer provides a web-based natural resources digital library by integrating data from state and federal agencies, local governments, university scientists, and citizens. Includes maps as well as the data sources the maps depend upon.
- Bureau of Land Management Oregon/Washington data libraryThe Bureau of Land Management Oregon data library contains spatial data of the Oregon and Washington BLM. The Data Library allows the user to obtain datasets and metadata via download.
- Portland MapsMap a specific intersection or area of the city and pull up data about that area.
- MetromapUse Metro's free online mapping service to view and share maps and data or to query parcel and tax assessment information, zoning, political boundaries, planning information, flood plain and special districts.
- Regional Equity Atlas for the Portland Metropolitan Area.Pre-made maps showing things like percentage of immigrants in a neighborhood, income levels, health care, and transit access. It also allows the creation of specially created maps combining different sorts of data.
- Portland Planning Bureau: Historic Resources and PreservationPortland Planning Bureau: Historic Resources and Preservation
Provides information about historic landmarks in Portland as well as historic Portland maps.
- City of Portland Map, GIS, and Open DataLinks to public datasets and mapping projects from the city.
- Oregon Explorer: Natural Resources Digital LibraryOregon Explorer provides a web-based natural resources digital library by integrating data from state and federal agencies, local governments, university scientists, and citizens. A collaboration between Oregon State University Libraries and the Institute for Natural Resources.
- Oregon MapAccess to the digital tax assessment maps for all counties in Oregon.
- Atlas of Oregon LakesThe online atlas highlights lake and reservoir water data stored within the Pacific Northwest Water Quality Data Exchange (PNWWQX). The PNWWQX collaborates between a variety of information management projects to facilitate the aggregation of and access to a comprehensive source of data related to water quality in the Pacific Northwest.
- Oregon Imagery ExplorerHigh resolution color aerial photography is available of the entire state. The imagery, flown in the summer of 2005, can be viewed or downloaded from Oregon Imagery Explorer.
- Oregon Dept. of Transportation MapsDetailed maps for cities and counties in Oregon. Statewide maps are also available.
- Urban Growth Boundary MapFrom Metro
National and International Data Sources
- Data.govThe home of the U.S. Government’s open data
where you will find data, tools, and resources to conduct research, develop web and mobile applications, design data visualizations, and more.
- Geospatial PlatformDeveloped by the member agencies of the Federal Geographic Data Committee (FGDC), the Geospatial Platform provides geospatial data, services, and applications for use by the public and by government agencies and partners to meet their mission needs.
- The National Map DataDownload maps and GIS data from the USGS National Map
- EPA Geospatial ResourcesSearchable and browseable collection of EPA data.
- EPA EnviroAtlasEnviroAtlas provides geospatial data, easy-to-use tools, and other resources related to ecosystem services, their stressors, and human health (in partnership with the USGS, USDA, and other government agencies and non-profits).
- Geospatial Data Gateway - USDAThe Geospatial Data Gateway (GDG) is the One Stop Source for environmental and natural resources data. The Gateway allows you to choose your area of interest, browse and select data from our catalog, customize the format, and have it downloaded or shipped on CD or DVD.
- USGS Long Term ArchiveOn this web site, managed by the United States Geological Survey's Long Term Archive, you can view satellite images and data, aerial photography, elevation and land cover datasets, and digitized maps from a variety of sensors. The archive contains images from 1937 to present, which you can also order or download at no charge.
- United States Fish and Wildlife Geospatial ServicesLinks to the United States Fish and Wildlife Service Geospatial catalog. From this web site you can access geospatial data and maps related to the mission of the Fish and Wildlife service.
- UN Data PortalAllows users to search and download a variety of statistical resources compiled by the United Nations (UN) statistical system and other international agencies.
- DataBasinThe Data Basin web site provides free access to thousands of scientifically-grounded, biological, physical, and socio-economic GIS datasets, although you will need to create a free account to download data.
- GIS Data DepotFree data for the geography community.
- ESRI ArcGIS Open Data HubLinks to ESRI's Open Data site on ArcGIS Hub. This web site is a repository for user-supplied data that can be used, re-used and distributed freely by anyone.
- NCSU Library's GIS pageNorth Carolina State University Library's GIS page and data metasearch tool
- Open TopographyThe Open Topography project provides high topography open access datasets (mostly Light Detection and Ranging derived data) that can be downloaded in GIS-compatible and other similar file formats.
Looking for Info on the History of a Home/Building/Address?
Greater Portland Data Sources
- City of Portland's Maps, GIS, and Open Data SiteProvides links to other repositories of data including from various city bureaus.
- Portland Maps Open Data SiteDownload individual data sets that make up Portland maps.
- Civic Apps for Greater PortlandA collection of apps and public datasets from a wide array of local government jurisdictions whose purpose is to make public data easier to access, and in the process make government data more useful for everyone.
- Metro Data Resource CenterMetro's Data Resource Center collaborates with local partners to develop and deliver the Regional Land Information System – more than 100 layers of spatial data that supports strategic decision-making for governments, businesses and organizations across the region.
- Portland Police Bureau Open DataLots of open data on crime and police activity in Portland.
- Portland Public Schools Data and ReportsEnrollment Reports, which profile current and historical demographics for Portland Public Schools, as well as achievement, disciplinary, and other school data.
- Portland Homeless CountsIncludes the biennial homeless counts conducted in the City of Portland.
- Portland Bicycle CountData on bicycle usage in Portland.
- Portland Residential DemolitionsMap of residential demolitions in Portland by year.
- Portland State University's Population Research CenterDoes interesting locally relevant population research and includes some cool census data maps and population forecasts.
- Institute of Portland Metropolitan StudiesShares information about regional issues.
State and Local Government Websites
Multnomah | Washington | Clackamas
Portland | Metro Regional Government
- Oregon Blue BookThe official state directory and fact book about all levels of government in Oregon. Published since 1911, it is produced and updated by the Oregon State Archives.
National Register of Historic Places
- National Register of Historic Places DatabaseSearch by state and county or state and city to find photos and information about buildings and homes that are registered historic places.
- National Register of Historic Places MapView historic places on a map view.