Course Specific Research Support for R 201: Home
Asian Religions course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome and Assessment Strategies:
"Student presentations on research, including site visits to religious settings."
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Understand the utility of background research to explore a topic before creating a research question
- Identify point of view and bias
- Summarize and synthesize ideas
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for R201
1. Locate qualified people to interview about a particular faith practice
2. Locate reliable and objective information sources to support informational presentations
3. Locate doctrinal documents for various faith traditions
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
1. Develop search strategies appropriate for various types of sources
2. Evaluate information sources for purpose, audience, currency
3. Use search tools to identify reliable sources of copies of primary or doctrinal sources, including the library catalog and databases
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.