Religion: Getting Started
Use the tabs of this guide for research about world religions:
- Books and Videos -- links to great resources available through PCC Library.
- World Religions in Portland -- suggested temples, mosques, churches and other sites that you can visit in Portland
- Bible - resources for Old Testament/Hebrew scriptures and New Testament studies
- Article Databases - find published magazine and journal articles
- Websites - recommended web resources, plus a Google Custom Search tool that searches only sites recommended by PCC faculty
- Get Help - resources on creating citations, finding writing and other tutors, and more.
Specialized encyclopedias are an excellent place to start your research.
Religion Streaming Videos
View high quality videos about the world's religions online from the Films on Demand database. Search by keyword or browse by Collections - World Religions
Religion and Culture
Religion influences not only spirituality, but also everyday activities. In a given context, religion may have an effect on interpersonal relationships; food and drink; eating rituals and patterns; clothing; shelter; the arrangement of public and private space; commerce; medicine and health practices; the measurement and use of time, particularly around the practice of religious ritual; pilgrimages; the political and justice systems; and/or practices at the time of major life transitions (birth, adulthood, marriage, death, etc.).
Some resources for researching how a religion is expressed in the culture of a particular country:
- Countries and Their Cultures (an encyclopedia in the Gale eBook database)
- Worldmark Encyclopedia of Religion Practices (an encyclopedia in the Gale eBook database; "provides information on current religious practices around the world with an emphasis on how religions impact the daily lives of their followers.")
Web search strategy
Limit your web search to a results from a particular country by using the country code top-level domain. For example, by adding site:uk to a search, your results should mostly come from websites originating in England.
- Find the domain for a particular country: Internet country domain list