Course Specific Research Support for PSY 239: Home
Introduction to Abnormal Psychology course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome and Assessment Strategies:
"Written assignments designed to integrate course material into personal experience, such as case studies, reflection paper etc…"
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Differentiate common vernacular from scientific terms for mental disorders
- Understand that terms for mental disorders change over time
- Understand the hierarchy of psychological nomenclature
- Identify specific topic to research
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for PSY 239
1. Categorize mental disorders according to current classification
2. Locate case studies about the efficacy of treatments of mental disorders
3. Differentiate between popular and scholarly sources, and synthesize information from various reliable sources
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
1. Use current classification of mental disorders to locate current treatment information
2. Develop a search strategy for locating current information on defining and treating mental disorders
3. Use consumer-based information sources and peer-reviewed information sources as appropriate
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.