Philosophy: Getting Started
This guide is designed to support research for PCC philosophy classes. Use the tabs in this guide to find:
- Articles - Find print and online philosophy magazines, and databases with philosophy magazine and journal articles.
- Books - Find philosophy books and e-books, including Philosophy and Popular Culture books.
- Videos - DVDs and streaming films and documentaries
- Websites - Recommended web sources.
- Get Help - Get help from a librarian 24x7, get support from a tutor, or find a handout or tutorial to help you with your research.
Start your explorations of big ideas and great thinkers in online encyclopedias.
- Stanford Encyclopedia of PhilosophyEntries are written and maintained by experts in the field.
- Encyclopedia of PhilosophyClear and accessible presentation of wide-ranging philosophical subjects
- Gale Ebooks (formerly GVRL) This link opens in a new windowOnline specialized encyclopedias in many disciplines, including philosophy.
- Credo Reference This link opens in a new windowOnline dictionaries and encyclopedias.
How does the discipline of philosophy help us make sense of a pandemic?
- Seven modern philosophers to help us build a better world after the pandemicArticle published in The Conversation, May 2021.
- The importance of philosophy in a post-pandemic worldArticle by Suzanne Killian in The Daily News. "It is no coincidence that the philosophy of Stoicism has increased in popularity during a pandemic."
- Coronavirus: How can philosophy help us in this time of crisis?Article in The Irish Times
Philosopher Ruth Chang on hard choices (Ted Talk, 14 minutes)
Philosopher Ruth Chang asks why some choices are so hard — and what that means for the human condition.
Chat a Librarian for Help
Need to talk to a librarian? Use our chat system. Click the button to open the chat window.Chat with a Librarian!