Northstar Digital Literacy
What is Northstar Digital Learning?
Northstar Digital Literacy set of online, self-paced digital literacy assessments and tutorials. These tools help you build the basic skills needed to perform tasks on computers and online in daily life, employment, and college.
What can I learn?
Northstar has six topics with online tutorials. After you login and take an assessment you can access the tutorial material.
Career Search Skills teaches you about preparing for a job search, searching for jobs, preparing documents like resumes and cover letters, applying and interviewing for jobs, and what to do after an interview.
More tutorials on more topics are being developed. Tutorials in Spanish are also under development.
Why use Northstar?
- Set yourself apart from others on your resume and job applications! Earn certificates for essential computer skills and list these accomplishments for future employers to see.
- Get college ready. Your college instructors may assume you already know how to use Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, or other software. Learning these skills will help you be successful in your classes.
- Develop skills to keep your job and advance your career. The problem solving and techology skills you will practice in Northstar will help you on the job!
- Build confidence and skills needed for successful remote and online learning.
- Learn at your own pace and without judgment.
How does Northstar work?
Northstar gives you the opportunity to check your digital literacy skills, learn and practice new skills, and demonstrate your mastery of these skills. Northstar teaches you essentials like using email and navigating the Internet, using Microsoft Office, and searching for career and job information.
How Northstar works:
- Set up a learner account at the PCC Northstar page.
- Log in.
- Choose a digital literacy topic (e.g., Microsoft Word).
- Take a digital literacy skills assessment on your topic.
- There are 14 assessments to choose from.
- This initial assessment will help you identify what you already know and what you need to learn.
- You’ll receive links to lessons to develop some skills you need to learn. (Note! Lessons are under development, so you might not be available for all of your skills gaps.)
- Work through the topic-specific lessons to learn and practice new skills.
- Use self-paced Northstar video lessons or recommended learning resources.
- Optional: Take a proctored assessment to demonstrate your new knowledge and skills related to that topic.
- When you successfully complete a proctored assessment, you can access a certificate that shows your competency in each area of digital literacy.
You may be using Northstar in a class you've enrolled in, taking a library workshop, or discovering this tool on your own. We're glad you're here! Select Getting started with Northstar to continue.
Tutorials available without a login
These tutorials are currently available without a login:
- Last Updated: Apr 20, 2022 10:19 AM
- URL: https://guides.pcc.edu/northstar
- Print Page