Welcome to the PCC Copyright guide. This guide is intended to provide information and guidance to help you determine if the uses you'd like to make of copyrighted materials are allowed by law and to direct you to support at the College.
Nothing on this guide should be construed as legal advice.
- Basics - describes the rights of copyright, duration, what is covered by copyright
- Fair Use - Fair use is one of the most important parts of the copyright law for education. This page will help you understand how to do a fair use analysis and links to some checklists and tools to help.
- Teaching with Copyrighted Materials - This page provides you with some general guidelines you can follow for both in-person and online classes for all different types of copyrighted materials.
- TEACH Act - The TEACH Act attempts to bring some of the freedoms allowed in face-to-face classrooms to the online classroom. Unfortunately, it also comes with a lot of limitations and conditions.
- Creative Commons and the Public Domain - Information about materials available for use without permission or relying on one of the legal exemptions.
- Students - Guidance on topics that come up for students
- Permissions - It isn't always possible to find a legal way to use material in your classes without permission. This page gives links to model permissions letters and other information that will be useful when getting permissions (or considering it!).
- More resources - links to tools, websites, and books for further reading
- Get Help
Copyright at PCC
Designated Copyright Agent
Portland Community College has designated an agent to receive notification of alleged copyright infringement on the pcc.edu domain. If you believe your copyrighted work is being infringed on a PCC website, please notify:
12000 SW 49th Ave.
Portland, OR 97219
This guide is maintained by Rachel Bridgewater, faculty librarian at the Cascade campus and Chair of the Copyright Committee. If you have questions or concerns about this guide, don't hesitate to contact me:
Rachel Bridgewater, email@example.com, 971-722-5323
- Last Updated: Nov 16, 2022 2:34 PM
- URL: https://guides.pcc.edu/copyright
- Print Page