Course Specific Research Support for DA 116: Home
The Whole Patient - Ethical, Legal, and Medical Implications course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Course Activities and Design:
"In classroom instructor-guided research - students will use their electronic devices to research topics relevant to the class"
From the Outcome and Assessment Strategies:
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Define a research topic in a hierarchical fashion, broad to specific
- Locate library databases
- Locate relevant and reliable sources for building background knowledge
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for DA 116
- Search for evidence based information sources, discerning factualness and reliability
- Locate current and professional level information
- Identify elements for attribution of sources in the style of the field
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Define indicators of evidence-based research
- Use advanced searching strategies for web-based and electronic sources
- Identify relevant databases for topics and use controlled vocabularies in searching
- Identify elements for attribution and use the citation style for the field
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.