Course Specific Research Support for PS 242: Home
Modern China and Its Neighbors course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome and Assessment Strategies:
Different techniques may be used for assessment which will be determined by the individual instructor. They may include:
- Written essays.
- Term papers.
- Group projects.
- Student demonstrations or presentations.
- Research projects or other projects with specified rating criteria.
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Use background information sources for understanding history and dimensions of topics
- Identify key terms, general to specific, to develop an effective search strategy
- Track searching strategies and revise for relevant results
- Understand that synthesis of concepts from multiple sources is necessary
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for PS 242
- Evaluate and select reliable, current and authoritative information sources
- Use the professional literature of the discipline
- Locate generated source citations or gather elements for citations
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Use subject headings and classification to identify relevant library materials
- Use library databases to locate published articles both in magazines and peer-reviewed journals
- Collect generated citations or gather elements for citations
- Identify indicators of authority and reliability in sources
Librarian Liaison to the Philosophy SAC (Subject Area Committee)
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.