Course Specific Research Support for CH 151: Home
Preparatory Chemistry course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome and Assessment Strategies:
"PCC Core Outcome Mapping: Critical Thinking and Problem Solving - Mapping Level Indicator 1
Demonstrate a limited ability to use detailed data collection, analysis and collaborative skills in order to explore preparatory chemical principles, critically evaluate models and information, draw conclusions and communicate results."
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Recognize authors' affiliation statements in journal articles
- Recognize agencies as corporate authors
- Navigate to library website, and select relevant databases
- Use background reading to construct reasonable topic statement
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for CH 151
- Locate published information sources about the effect of chemicals on the environment, and evaluate for context, bias, and authority
- Locate articles in scientific journals and evaluate for context, currency, and peer review
- Devise a research question related to chemistry, within the context of the effect of chemicals on the environment
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Identify the parties responsible, and their qualifications, for chemistry articles, to evaluate reliability of information
- Select sources for locating relevant chemistry journal articles, including library databases
- Develop a researchable question related to chemistry, and identify the context and perspectives of the authors
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.