Course Specific Research Support for PHL 197: Home
Manufacturing Reality: Critical Thinking and the Media course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Course Description:
Addresses the growing impact of electronic media on our perceptions of truth and reality. Emphasizes skills to critically deconstruct and analyze the embedded values, messages, and techniques of electronic media as a basis for empowering students to formulate meaningful responses.
From the Outcome and Assessment Strategies:
"Essays in the form of in-class exams, short papers, or term papers."
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Articulate a research topic
- Develop a search strategy
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for PHL 197
- Select media reports on issues to assess for bias and argument
- Evaluate the use (or misuse) of statistical data and concepts
- Identify claims and locate corroborating sources
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Locate media reports on particular issues and use indicators to locate original study
- Locate and evaluate sources of statistical data
- Identify the purpose of information sources and the authority of the information providers
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.