Course Specific Research Support for ESOL 262: Home
Level 8 Academic Writing course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Course Content: Competencies and Skills:
- effectively analyze and synthesize information from a variety of sources and form a well-supported thesis
- appropriately incorporate examples or the thoughts of others and provide source citation
- avoid plagiarism
- demonstrate an awareness of audience and purpose
- distinguish between relevant and irrelevant information
- distinguish among facts, opinions, and beliefs
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Identify synonyms and related concepts
- Navigate to library website
- Recognize related concepts for searching as well as matching keywords
- Understand concept of intellectual property
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for ESOL 262
1. Explore topic through seeking background information
2. Interpret result lists from online catalog and database searches
3. Recognize components for attribution and citation
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
1. Use introductory, summary information sources like encyclopedias to locate background information and perspectives on topic areas
2. Use library online catalog to identify published books and articles
3. Capture citation data for each selected source
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.