Philosophy Now - A Magazine of Ideas is an engaging magazine out of Great Britain about all sorts of philosophical and ethical issues. Features include articles, ethics in society, fiction, reviews and cartoons.
Print copies available on Southeast Library, 2nd floor.
Online access: Articles available from the Online Journals link from the Philosophy Now record in the library catalog.
Some recent essays:
Existence (Barbara Smoker probes why there is something rather than nothing.)
Professional Baseball & Performance-Enhancing Drugs (Darrin Belousek considers different ethical perspectives on drugs in sport)
Are There ‘Other’ Ways of Knowing? Beyond the scientific way of knowing...
Video: What are Library Databases and Why do you Need Them?
Video: Find Articles through the PCC Library
Magazine and journal article databases
Search by keywords for published philosophy articles from these databases:
- Academic Search Premier This link opens in a new windowFull text for more than 4,500 scholarly social sciences, humanities, general science, education and multi-cultural journals. 3,700 are peer-reviewed.
- Gale Ebooks (formerly GVRL) This link opens in a new windowGVRL has over 200 encyclopedias and specialized reference sources including encyclopedias of philosophy.
- JSTOR This link opens in a new windowFull text of over 1000 scholarly journals in the arts and sciences, from their earliest issues up to 3-5 years ago. Does not include current issues of the journals. Video tutorials are available.
- Religion and Philosophy Collection (Ebscohost) This link opens in a new windowFull text coverage of topics such as world religions, major denominations, biblical studies, religious history, epistemology, political philosophy, philosophy of language, moral philosophy and the history of philosophy.
Browse these philosophy magazines and journals electronically.
- BioethicsPeer reviewed articles on the ethical questions raised by current biomedical research and issues. Questions are considered on the basis of concrete ethical, legal, and policy problems, and in terms of fundamental concepts, principles and theories.
- Journal of Applied PhilosophyCovers moral, social, and political philosophy and ethics applied to problems of practical concern. Covers a broad spectrum of issues in environment and medicine, science policy, law and education.
- Journal of Political PhilosophyPeer reviewed interdisciplinary approach to the study of theoretical issues which arise out of moral, legal and political life. Some of the disciplines covered include philosophy, sociology, history, economics, and political science.
- Philosophy East & WestPromoting academic literacy on non-Western traditions of philosophy, Philosophy East and West has for over half a century published the highest-quality scholarship that locates these cultures in their relationship to Anglo-American philosophy.
- Philosophy NowAn engaging magazine out of Great Britain about all sorts of philosophical and ethical issues. Features include articles, ethics in society, fiction, reviews and cartoons.
- Philosophy of ScienceEssays, discussion articles and book reviews in the general area of philosophy of science for members of the Philosophy of Science Association.