PSY 201A Wild: Home
Your PSY 201 Literature Review writing assignment asks you to find and summarize a peer reviewed scientific article. This guide will help you:
- understand what a peer reviewed article is
- how to find a peer reviewed article
- how to efficiently read a peer reviewed article
- how to cite
Find Peer Reviewed Psychology Articles in the Library
Find Peer Reviewed Articles with Google Scholar
Before searching, be sure to set PCC as your library in your browser by:
- Visiting the link to set "Library Links" settings for Google Scholar,
- using the search box to search for "Portland Community College",
- checking the check box that appears underneath the search to select “Portland Community College – Find it @ PCC”,
- and then selecting the Save button.
This will ensure that when you search Google Scholar in your browser, you will see Find It @ PCC links to full text if we have the article (Google Scholar sometimes also provides links to other free sources for full text).
You can learn more about setting Google Scholar preferences on the PCC Library Website.
Decoding Scholarly Article Jargon
Cite Your Sources in APA
Why cite your sources?
When you use someone else's words, ideas, or images in your writing, you need to give them proper credit. Providing a citation or reference enables others to locate these sources, too! View this sample APA paper to see how citations and formatting are done.
Resources for creating APA-style citations
Free citation creation tools to help you generate APA-style citations:
- NCSU Citation Builder
- Simple citation builder for some digital and print materials
- Covers APA 6
- Copy and paste your generated citation into your bibliography
- Calvin College's Knight Cite
- Build citations for a wide range of resources in print, digital, multimedia, and communication
- Covers APA 6
- Create a free Knight Cite account to save citations and export them to Word or RTF document
- Generate citations and bibliographies by pasting a URL or searching for a resource by title
- Covers APA 6 & 7
- Copy and paste citations, download them as a Word doc, save them to Google Drive, print, or email them to yourself
Need help with hanging indentation?
- Here is a link to a short video tutorial for hanging indentation formatting in Word.
- Here is a link to a short video tutorial for hanging indentation formatting in Google Drive/Docs