Course Specific Research Support for ESR 200: Home
Introduction to Environmental Systems course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Course Activities and Design:
"Written papers will be used to develop skill in identifying, comprehending and analyzing scientific papers."
From the Outcome Assessment Strategies:
"Written assignments that ask students to search, read, summarize, synthesize and cite the peer-reviewed scientific literature on a relevant environmental topic (e.g., the impacts of climate change)."
From the Course Content:
"Identify, summarize, synthesize and cite the peer-reviewed scientific literature."
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Recognize utility of recognizing connections between sources and the purpose(s) of citations
- Select relevant, specialized library databases
- Identify aspects of the ongoing scholarly conversations on a topic over time, and between current researchers
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for ESR 200
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Select and use relevant library databases to find full text for peer reviewed articles
- Use advanced search strategies to locate relevant information in electronic format
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.