Course Specific Research Support for ESR 140: Home
Introduction to Sustainability course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome Assessment Strategies:
"Research Paper(s) or Project(s) on sustainability topics"
From the Course Content:
"Locate and access scientific information."
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Ability to question assumptions
- Recognize utility of recognizing connections between sources
- Locate library databases
- Ability to analyze purpose and scope of library databases and reference tools
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for ESR140
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
1.Select and use relevant library databases to find reliable, scientific information in articles
2.Identify bias, and point of view of information sources, and select useful sources, including persons or groups to interview
3.Use advanced search strategies to locate relevant information in electronic format
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.