Veterans Services Library Guide: Books and Videos
eBooks and eVidoes on military and experience
- American veteran. Episode one, The crossingCall Number: evideoPublication Date: 2021There is a very stark line between before boot camp and after boot camp, a veteran recalls. As recruits take the oath to serve, they leave the civilian world to become a soldier, sailor, marine, airman or woman. This is the start of their transformation
- Thoughts on War byISBN: 0813178916Publication Date: 2020-03-17Thoughts on War questions the long-held traditions and heroes to encourage the US military to reexamine whether its current beliefs and practices are the best for its future. The result is often controversial, with many chapters offering unpopular suggestions to change time-honored principles.
- Inclusion in the American Military byCall Number: ebookISBN: 1498560849Publication Date: 2017-08-01The U.S. military can be thought of as a microcosm of American society, bringing in people from diverse backgrounds and history to defend one nation. Military leaders must address the same issues and concerns as those found in the civilian world, including exclusion, segregation, and discrimination. In some cases, the military has led the nation by creating policies of inclusion before civilian laws required them to do so.
- A History of War in 100 Battles byCall Number: ebookISBN: 0199390711Publication Date: 2014-11-03The most significant military engagements in history define the very nature of war. Considered in relation to each other, such battles--and others of less immediate renown--offer insight into the changing nature of armed combat, advances in technology, shifts in strategy and thought, as well as altered geopolitical landscapes.
- Children of Military FamiliesCall Number: evideoPublication Date: 2014In Children of Military Families, several children share their personal stories of what it is like to have a parent in the military serving overseas.
- A People's History of the U. S. Military byCall Number: ebookISBN: 159558935XPublication Date: 2013-10-01In A People's History of the U.S. Military, historian Michael A. Bellesiles draws from three centuries of soldiers' personal encounters with combat—through fascinating excerpts from letters, diaries, and memoirs, as well as audio recordings, film, and blogs—to capture the essence of the American military experience firsthand, from the American Revolution to the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
- Military Mental Health Care byCall Number: 355.345 L39m 2013ISBN: 9781442220935Publication Date: 2012-12-07Both a resource for struggling veterans and a useful tool for their loved ones or anyone looking for ways to support the veterans in their lives.
- The Great Alone byISBN: 9780312577230Publication Date: 2018-02-06Lenora Allbright is 13 when her father convinces her mother, Cora, to forgo their inauspicious existence in Seattle and move to Kaneq, AK. It's 1974, and the former Vietnam POW sees a better future away from the noise and nightmares that plague him. Having been left a homestead by a buddy who died in the war, Ernt is secure in his beliefs, but never was a family less prepared for the reality of Alaska, the long, cold winters and isolation
- Moon Brow byISBN: 9781632061287Publication Date: 2018-04-24Before shrapnel severed his left arm during the Iran-Iraq war, Amir Khan lived the life of a carefree playboy. Five years later, his mother and sister Reyhaneh find him in mental hospital for shell-shocked soldiers and bring him home to Tehran. His memories decimated, Amir is haunted by the vision of a mysterious woman he believes is his fiancee. Wildly inventive and radically empathetic, steeped in Persian folklore and contemporary Middle East history, Moon Brow is the great Iranian novelist Shahriar Mandanipour's unforgettable epic of love, war, morality, faith, and family.
- The Sheltering byCall Number: ebookISBN: 1611174341Publication Date: 2014-08-12As the tales of Luther and Bobby unfold, Mark Powell masterfully engages with the vexing, bifurcated lives of combatants in the global war on terror, those who are simultaneously here and there and thus never fully freed from the life-and-death chaos of the battlefield.
- Redeployment byCall Number: 813 KLAY 2014ISBN: 9781594204999In the title story, a soldier who has had to shoot dogs because they were eating human corpses must learn what it is like to return to domestic life in suburbia, surrounded by people "who have no idea where Fallujah is, where three members of your platoon died." In "After-Action Report", a Lance Corporal seeks expiation for a killing he didn't commit, in order that his best friend will be unburdened. A Mortuary Affairs Marine tells about his experiences collecting remains-of U.S. and Iraqi soldiers both. A chaplain sees his understanding of Christianity, and his ability to provide solace through religion, tested by the actions of a ferocious Colonel. And in the darkly comic "Money as a Weapons System", a young Foreign Service Officer is given the absurd task of helping Iraqis improve their lives by teaching them to play baseball.
- The things they carried byCall Number: 813 OBRIEN 2009A classic collection of short stories on the Vietnam War. The title story is a must read.
- Fire and forget: Short stories from the long war byCall Number: FIREAND 2013
- Billy Lynn's long halftime walk byCall Number: POPULAR FOUNTAI 2012A satire set in Texas follows the surviving members of the heroic Bravo Squad through one exhausting stop in their media-intensive "Victory Tour" at Texas Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, their fans, promoters, and cheerleaders. Made into a movie-available at Cascade.
- The yellow birds byCall Number: POPULAR POWERS 2012The war tried to kill us in the spring." So begins this powerful account of friendship and loss. In Al Tafar, Iraq, twenty-one-year old Private Bartle and eighteen-year-old Private Murphy cling to life as their platoon launches a bloody battle for the city. Bound together since basic training when Bartle makes a promise to bring Murphy safely home, the two have been dropped into a war neither is prepared for. The novel also offers insight into the effects of a hidden war on mothers and families at home.
FIghting in Afghanistan and Iraq
- The American war in Afghanistan : a history byCall Number: ebookISBN: 0197550797Publication Date: 2021The American War in Afghanistan is a full history of the war in Afghanistan between 2001 and 2020. It covers political, cultural, strategic, and tactical aspects of the war and details the actions and decision-making of the United States, Afghan government, and Taliban.
- Planning to fail : the US wars in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan byCall Number: ebookISBN: 9780190935337Publication Date: 2019In this book, Lebovic identifies a common pattern that explains how the US failed to accomplish its goals in Vietnam, Iraq, and Afghanistan. Planning to Fail presents a detailed analysis of American decision-making in chapters devoted to each of these conflicts
- How We Won and Lost the War in Afghanistan byCall Number: ebookISBN: 1612349919Publication Date: 2017-11-01Douglas Grindle provides a firsthand account of how the war in Afghanistan was won in a rural district south of Kandahar City and how the newly created peace slipped away when vital resources failed to materialize and the United States headed for the exit
- This is War: Memories of Iraq byCall Number: Sylvania Videos 956.7 T45 2007Publication Date: 2007Follows nine National Guard soldiers from Oregon, who ended up in some of the heaviest fighting of the Iraq war. Most of the photographs and footage were taken from the cameras of the soldiers themselves.
- The Fighters byISBN: 9781451676648Publication Date: 2018-08-14Chivers traces the combat experiences in Iraq and Afghanistan of an F-14 pilot, a helicopter crew, a corpsman with the Marines in Anbar and infantry in the Korengal Valley. The author won a Pulitzer Prize.
- War byCall Number: POPULAR JUNGER 2010Follows a single platoon through a 15-month tour of duty in the most dangerous outpost in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley. By the author of "The Perfect Storm."
- The good soldiers byCall Number: 956.7044 F56g 2010
Women in the military
- Women in the military. Alene B. Duerk : the first woman admiralCall Number: evideoPublication Date: 2020This short films tells the story of Alene B. Duerk, the first woman to earn the rank of Admiral in the U.S. Navy. Admiral Duerk served in World War II and during the Korean and Vietnam Wars. After retiring, she went on to deliver meals to the elderly before passing away in her late 90s.
- Women and Gender Perspectives in the Military : An International Comparison. byCall Number: ebookISBN: 9781626166271Publication Date: 2019Women and Gender Perspectives in the Military compares the integration of women, gender perspectives, and the women, peace, and security agenda into the armed forces of eight countries plus NATO and UN peacekeeping operations. The countries examined are Sweden, the Netherlands, Canada, the United States, the UK, Israel, Australia, and South Africa.
- Shoot Like a Girl byCall Number: 958.104 H44s 2018ISBN: 9781101988442Publication Date: 2018-03-13After being commissioned into the U.S. Air Force, MJ Hegar was selected for pilot training by the Air National Guard, finished at the top of her class, then served three tours in Afghanistan, flying combat search-and-rescue missions, culminating in a harrowing rescue attempt that would earn MJ the Purple Heart as well as the Distinguished Flying Cross with Valor Device
- It's my country too : women's military stories from the American Revolution to Afghanistan byCall Number: ebookISBN: 1612348319Publication Date: 2017-07-01This inspiring anthology is the first to convey the rich experiences and contributions of women in the American military in their own words—from the Revolutionary War to the present wars in the Middle East
- Ashley's war : the untold story of a team of women soldiers on the Special Ops battlefield byCall Number: 958.104 T94a 2015
- Soldier girls: The battles of three women at home and at war byCall Number: 956.7044 T46s 2014ISBN: 9781451668100The three become close friends, and through their daily interaction we see how military service changes their relationships with their families, their lovers, and their children.
- The invisible war byCall Number: evideoAn investigative documentary about the epidemic of rape within the U.S. military.
- When Janey comes marching home: Portraits of women combat veteran byCall Number: ebookWhen Janey Comes Marching Home juxtaposes forty-eight photographs by Sascha Pflaeging with oral histories collected by Laura Browder to provide a dramatic portrait of women at war. Women from all five branches of the military share their stori
- Nancy Love and the WASP Ferry Pilots of World War II byCall Number: ebookISBN: 1574412418Publication Date: 2008-01-29She flew the swift P-51 and the capricious P-38, but the heavy, four-engine B-17 bomber and C-54 transport were her forte. This is the story of Nancy Harkness Love who, early in World War II, recruited and led the first group of twenty-eight women to fly military aircraft for the US Army.
- Guarding the Border byCall Number: ebookISBN: 1603440968Publication Date: 2009-02-10
- Donut Dolly byCall Number: ebookISBN: 1574413244Publication Date: 2011-10-04Donut Dolly puts you in the Vietnam War face down in the dirt under a sniper attack, inside a helicopter being struck by lightning, at dinner next to a commanding general, and slogging through the mud along a line of foxholes.
- My life as a foreign country byCall Number: 956.7044 T87m2014ISBN: 9780393245011"A war memoir of unusual literary beauty and power from the acclaimed poet who wrote the poem 'The Hurt Locker.'
- Beyond the call: Three women on the front lines in Afghanistan byCall Number: 958.104 R58b 2018Follows the experiences of four women who fought in active combat duty in Afghanistan and also worked to gather intelligence about the Taliban from local Afghani women, with whom they were able to cultivate relationships, unlike their male counterparts.
- The Long Walk byCall Number: POPULAR CASTNER 2013ISBN: 9780307950871Publication Date: 2013-04-09The author did three tours disarming IEDs.
- Bloods byISBN: 9780345311979Publication Date: 1985-07-12The experiences of 20 African-American soldiers in Vietnam, told by the soldiers themselves.
- See me for who I am : student veterans' stories of war and coming home byCall Number: 362.8609 S44 2016ISBN: 9781944079017Publication Date: 2016-02-15Twenty veterans, now college students, write about who they are, hoping to undermine stereotypes about veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.