Climate change denial
Researching climate change denial
Those who question the scientific consensus that climate change is happening as a result of human actions include a range of voices and perspectives:
- Respected scientists (approximately 3%) who have expressed skepticism that current data is sufficient for making conclusive decisions.
- Fossil fuel industry representatives, and researchers whose studies are designed and funded by these groups
- Conservative, small government advocates who are opposed in principle to the large scale governmental actions that climate activists call for to respond to the threat.
- Individuals who receive their information from misleading/uninformed news and social media sources
- Individuals who respond to frightening or unpleasant news with defense strategies such as denial
- Conspiracy theorists who maintain that "global warming hysteria" is a hoax designed to forward the goals of a "deep state" clandestine network.
Here are some prominent climate skeptics:
- The 10 Most-Respected Global Warming Skeptics (from Business Insider)
- Top 10 Climate Deniers (from Before the Flood, National Geographic)
- The Climate Denier List (anonymous blog profiling deniers)
To find web sites representing the more extreme views of climate change denial or skepticism, search for the terminology used by these groups:
- global warming (or climate change) hysteria
- global warming (or climate change) alarmist
- global warming (or climate change) myth
- global warming (or climate change) hoax
- global warming (or climate change) junk science
Climate denial web resources
The Yale Climate Opinion Maps provides a comprehensive look at American opinions on global warming, including its causes and policy implications. The data can be viewed by region, down to the congressional district level. Interactive maps are available.
Recommended viewing: "Merchants of Doubt" (52 minutes)
Inspired by the acclaimed book by Naomi Oreskes and Erik M. Conway, MERCHANTS OF DOUBT takes audiences on a satirically comedic yet illuminating ride into the heart of conjuring American spin. Filmmaker Robert Kenner lifts the curtain on a secretive group of highly charismatic, silver-tongued pundits-for-hire who present themselves in the media as scientific authorities - yet have the contrary aim of spreading maximum confusion about well-studied public threats ranging from toxic chemicals to pharmaceuticals to climate change. View here.
More DVDs and streaming video
Greedy Lying Bastards : How Industry has Shed Doubt on Climate Change Science (1 hr. 29 minutes)
National Geographic's Five Stages of Climate Change Grief. Arnold Schwarzenegger plays the doctor counseling Bill Nye on his climate change grief, as Bill works through the stages of denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. (44 minutes)
The Climate Change Denial Industry : James Hoggan (1 hr 4 minutes)
- Last Updated: Jun 23, 2020 4:12 PM
- URL: https://guides.pcc.edu/climatechange
- Print Page