Culturally Responsive Teaching Resources
What is Culturally Responsive Teaching?
Culturally responsive teaching is defined as "using the cultural knowledge, prior experiences, frames of reference, and performance styles of ethnically diverse students to make learning encounters more relevant to and effective for them” (Gay, 2010).
Some of the characteristics of culturally responsive teaching include:
- Communication of high expectations
- Learning within the context of culture
- Student-centered instruction
- Teacher as facilitator
Read more here: Brown University Education Alliance and the National Center for Culturally Responsive Educational Systems
Not sure where to start? These resources provide an introduction to culturally responsive teaching and ideas for how to create a curriculum and pedagogy that are culturally responsive.
- Last Updated: Oct 5, 2021 12:32 PM
- URL: https://guides.pcc.edu/culturally_responsive_teaching
- Print Page