Course Specific Research Support for ATH 209: Home
Culture, Change and the Individual course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome and Assessment Strategies:
- term papers
- oral or online presentations
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Identify keywords and concepts for a search strategy
- Locate library databases
- Locate discipline specific information providers online
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for ATH 209
- Reflect to surface prior knowledge and experience about particular cultures including one's own
- Select a topic focus to apply ethnographic techniques
- Identify and locate relevant sources to examine acculturation and culture change
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Use questioning and brainstorming to begin topic development process
- Use initial search process through various sources to survey availability of sources for topic
- Identify and select databases to search for sources related to the discipline
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.