Emergencies and disasters happen. The Pacific Northwest is still waiting for the "overdue" major quake along the Cascadia Subduction Zone. This guide will help you to prepare for any major emergencies and disasters.
Week 1: Make and Practice Your Plan
Week 2: Learn Life Saving Skills
- Know basic home maintenance to protect your family and home. Learn how to mitigate your home against flood damage, or protect against the impacts of earthquakes.
- Learn how to turn off utilities like natural gas in your home.
- Put smoke alarms on every level of your home, test them monthly, and replace them when they are 10 years old.
- Know the ways to keep your home safe from cooking, heating & electrical fires.
- Take a CPR class from your local Red Cross.
Week 3: Check Your Coverage
- Insurance is the first line of defense; check your insurance coverage.
- Flood Insurance allows communities and families to recover more quickly and more fully. Visit Floodsmart.gov to learn more about flood insurance and how to protect your home or business.
- Check to see if you're eligible for earthquake insurance if you live in an earthquake zone.
- Last Updated: Mar 31, 2021 3:28 PM
- URL: https://guides.pcc.edu/prepare
- Print Page