Course Specific Research Support for ESR 172: Home
Environmental Science: Chemical Perspectives course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome Assessment Strategies:
From the Course Content:
"Locate and access reliable information from a variety of sources."
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Ability to question assumptions
- Recognize utility of recognizing connections between sources
- Locate library databases
- Ability to analyze purpose and scope of library databases and reference tools
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for ESR 172
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Select and use relevant library databases to find reliable, scientific information in articles
- Identify bias, and point of view of information sources, and select useful sources, including persons or groups to interview
- Locate relevant information from various levels of government (city, state, regional, national)
- Use advanced search strategies to locate relevant information in electronic format
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.