Portland Metro and Oregon Research: Data & Census
Support for research about local issues, places, laws, people, history, and more.
Finding Statistical Data on Your Topic
In addition to the resources listed below, you can find useful data by searching the local and state government websites listed on the Government sources page and by conducting web searches for your topic and location (Portland, Multnomah, Clackamas, Oregon, etc.) with the word dataset, data, or statistics.
Examples: Oregon homeless data Portland bicycle statistics Portland parks dataset
- Census DataPrimary online interface for viewing US Census data, including population, housing, economic, geographic, and governmental data.
- Census Quick FactsProvides quick census data for states, counties and cities.
- Neighborhood Profile MapsDemographic data for each Portland neighborhood and comparing data from 2020 to 2010.
- Statistical Abstract of the United States This link opens in a new windowA comprehensive statistical reference on the economic, social and political organization of the United States.
- Oregon Open DataSearch a wealth of datasets from the State of Oregon. Or browse on the data catalog. Contains lots of Portland-specific data sets.
- Oregon Spatial Data LibraryPart of Oregon Explorer, the Oregon Spatial Data Library provides easy and convenient ways to find, access and share geospatial data.
- Oregon Geospatial Data ClearinghouseIncludes the State of Oregon Spatial Data Library, Digital Ortho Quads, Digital Elevation Model (DEM) files, and other geospatial datasets.
- Data for Local CommunitiesStatistical, spatial, and descriptive information about the cities, counties and other civil, economic and natural regions of Oregon and Washington.
- Oregon Explorer: Natural Resources Digital Library DataOregon Explorer provides a web-based natural resources digital library by integrating data from state and federal agencies, local governments, university scientists, and citizens. Includes maps as well as the data sources the maps depend upon.
- Bureau of Land Management Oregon/Washington data libraryThe Bureau of Land Management Oregon data library contains spatial data of the Oregon and Washington BLM. The Data Library allows the user to obtain datasets and metadata via download.
Greater Portland Data Sources
- City of Portland's Maps, GIS, and Open Data SiteProvides links to other repositories of data including from various city bureaus.
- Portland Maps Open Data SiteDownload individual data sets that make up Portland maps.
- Civic Apps for Greater PortlandA collection of apps and public datasets from a wide array of local government jurisdictions whose purpose is to make public data easier to access, and in the process make government data more useful for everyone.
- Metro Data Resource CenterMetro's Data Resource Center collaborates with local partners to develop and deliver the Regional Land Information System – more than 100 layers of spatial data that supports strategic decision-making for governments, businesses and organizations across the region.
- Portland Police Bureau Open DataLots of open data on crime and police activity in Portland.
- Portland Public Schools Data and ReportsEnrollment Reports, which profile current and historical demographics for Portland Public Schools, as well as achievement, disciplinary, and other school data.
- Portland Homeless CountsIncludes the biennial homeless counts conducted in the City of Portland.
- Portland Bicycle CountData on bicycle usage in Portland.
- Portland Residential DemolitionsMap of residential demolitions in Portland by year.
- Portland State University's Population Research CenterDoes interesting locally relevant population research and includes some cool census data maps and population forecasts.
- Institute of Portland Metropolitan StudiesShares information about regional issues.