Course Specific Research Support for ATH 234: Home
ATH 234 is cross-listed with SOC 234.
Death and Dying in Cross-cultural Perspectives course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome and Assessment Strategies:
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Select a topic area to try initial searches through the internet or library sources
- Navigate to library website to set up search strategy for library sources
- Identify the container of the information to identify the type of information source
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for ATH 234
1. Develop a topic statement for exploring personal perspective in comparison to other cultural perspectives on death
2. Identify and use sources which provide either a sociological or anthropological perspective
3. Evaluate sources for currency, accuracy, and authority
4. Identify elements about the sources for attribution
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.