Course Specific Research Support for VT 203: Home
Introduction to Veterinary Specialities course outcomes related to research skills:
Other indicators of required research or information seeking:
From the Outcome and Assessment Strategies:
Deliver an effective oral presentation on a veterinary medical topic with an accompanying powerpoint presentation and written research paper.
Bridging competencies to support research and information seeking at this level:
- Clearly state a focused research question
- Select alternative terms, general and specific, scientific and vernacular
- Collect elements for citations
Corresponding research and information seeking outcomes for VT 203
- Select reliable information from professional level sources
- Select reliable information appropriate for supporting customers
- Evaluate audience of information sources and select sources with reliable evidence
- Properly cite sources according to professional standards
Librarian Instructional Objectives:
- Locate aggregated journal articles and full text of professional level materials through library searching
- Access peer-reviewed articles and reliable general interest information sources available through state consortia and other sources free to the public
- Evaluation sources for reliability, currency, audience and authority
- Use the NAVTA journal citation style for citations
Placement of courses on an Information Literacy Continuum
|Student's Developmental Stage
Connecting to College
1. I know where the library is located and about some of the services provided.
2. I can identify a topic, and identify useful information sources to read about it.
Information Literacy Skills
3. I can develop a topic statement, locate and use library sources, and begin informational research.
Academic or Career/ Technical Related
4. I evaluate the sources I have found for relevancy to my field, and I know who some of the experts are.
Inquiry and Exploration for Research
5. I can identify pro- and con-positions on a topic. I can identify the perspectives of various experts in a field.
Discipline- or Area of Study Specific
6. I can support my position on an issue with evidence. I can accurately summarize the scholarly or professional conversation.