Exercise Science: Websites
- Fitness & Nutrition - NPRRead and listen to the latest fitness and nutrition features from National Public Radio.
- Gatorade Sports Science Institute (GSSI)This site provides articles on a variety of sports medical topics by experts in exercise science and sports medicine, including hydration, sports nutrition, training and performance, medical conditions and sports injuries, and youth in sports.
- Human Anatomy OnlineAn interactive human anatomy tutorial, with individual sections for skeletal, digestive, muscular, lymphatic, endocrine, nervous, cardiovascular, reproductive, and urinary systems.
- Nutrition.govExcellent resource from the federal government covering a wide array of nutrition-related topics.
- Oregon Career Information System This link opens in a new windowUse this site to research the hiring practices, licensing and certification, wages, and employment outlook for occupations and careers in the health and fitness industries.
- Occupational Outlook HandbookProvides national occupation information including degree requirements, pay information and projected growth. From the BLS.
Associations and Organizations
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)The largest sports medicine and exercise science organization in the world, ACSM promotes and integrates scientific research, education, and practical applications of sports medicine and exercise science to maintain and enhance physical performance, fitness, health, and quality of life.
- American Society of Biomechanics (ASB)With a a membership of approximately 600 academic researchers, clinicians, scientists, students, and industry members, the ASB promotes the exchange of information and ideas in a variety fields related to biology, exercise and sports science, health, ergonomics, and engineering.
- American Council on Exercise (ACE)Founded in 1985, the ACE seeks to enrich quality of life through safe and effective exercise and physical activity.
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)APTA seeks to improve the health and quality of life of individuals in society by advancing physical therapist practice, education, and research, and by increasing the awareness and understanding of physical therapy's role in the nation's health care system.
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education (Recognized as an accrediting agency by the Council of Higher Education, CAATE is committed to continually improving and athletic training education and assuring excellence in the field.
- International Fitness Professionals Association (IFPA)The IFPA is devoted to offering the highest quality learning experiences to those seeking to become leaders in the fitness industry.
- International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA)ISSA is a distance education institution and certifying agency offering online personal trainer and fitness certification programs.
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)Since 1987, the NASM has been providing evidence-based certifications and advanced specializations for fitness professionals.
- National Council on Strength & Fitness (NCSF)According to their mission statement, the the NCSF establishes, assesses, and promotes qualification standards for Exercise Professionals in a continued effort to foster a high level of professional competency and ethical practice, to best serve public interest and safety.
- National Personal Training AssociationThe NPTA is a professional fitness association with over 55,000 members worldwide offering primary, advanced, and specialized educational courses and certification programs.