Rise to Teach: Issues in K-12 education
This guide is to help students in PCC's Rise to Teach program to explore and discover information related to K-12 education.
PCC Library databases
- Opposing Viewpoints (Gale In Context) This link opens in a new windowInformation on current social issues. Includes viewpoint articles on different sides of an issue, topic overviews, statistics, primary documents, links to websites, and full text magazine and newspaper articles.
Begin with a keyword search for education or school View the Opposing Viewpoints handout [pdf]
- SIRS Issues Researcher This link opens in a new windowFull text information on social issues, science, health, history, government, business, and the arts and humanities. Citations included.
Go to section for "School, Family & Youth." View the SIRS Knowledge Source handout [pdf].
Articles and lists on the web
- 10 Challenges Facing Public Education TodayAlthough this list was published in 2018, the challenges on it are still facing K-12 schools today. This list if from the National Education Association website.
- Research Topics in EducationReports from the non-partisan group called Pew Research Center. Each report has a lot of information about challenges in K-12 education.
- Back to School for K-12 students: Issues AheadFrom the US Government Accountability Office, this is a list of K-12 challenges. The list of issues facing students, educators and school includes: pandemic learning loss, absenteeism, achievement at virtual charter schools, school redistricting, and bullying.
- Oregon Education AssociationThis is the website of the Union that represents over 40,000 educators in Oregon. There is a list of K-12 education issues on this website.
- EducationWeek: OregonEducationWeek is a national publication that publishes news and information about K-12 education. This links to issues in Oregon.