WR 121 Alessandrelli: Find Websites
- US Fish & Wildlife ServiceThe United States Fish and Wildlife Service is an agency of the United States Federal Government within the United States Department of the Interior dedicated to the management of fish, wildlife, and natural habitats.
- NOAA FisheriesNOAA Fisheries is responsible for the stewardship of the nation's ocean resources and their habitat.
- Northern Prairie Wildlife Research CenterLocated on six hundred acres along the James River Valley near Jamestown, North Dakota, the Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center is one of seventeen USGS Science Centers that develop and disseminate the scientific information needed to understand, conserve, and manage the Nation’s rich biological resources.
- UN Environment Programme World Conservation Monitoring CentreUN Environment Programme World Conservation Monitoring Centre works with scientists and policy makers worldwide to place biodiversity at the heart of environment and development decision-making to enable enlightened choices for people and the planet.
- USDA: Eating VegetarianFind tips and resources for creating a healthy vegetarian eating plan that meets nutrient recommendations.
- Animals as SymbolsThis category includes the various ways in which animals are used as symbols in human society. This includes animals as symbols of a nation, animal symbolism in folk tales, and a myriad of other instances of animals as representations of human culture. This bibliography is an ongoing project of the Animal Studies Program at Michigan State University.
- Phylogeny of LifeThese exhibits explore the ancestor/descendant relationships which connect all organisms, past and present. UC Museum of Paleontology, Berkeley
- Salmon in the PNW & AlaskaSalmon in the Northwest contains documents, photographs and other original material describing the roots of the salmon crisis in the Pacific Northwest in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. From University of Washington Libraries.
- Smithsonian's National Zoo & Smithsonian Conservation Biology InstituteFrom reptiles and amphibians to fish, birds and mammals, meet the animals at the Smithsonian's National Zoo and Conservation Biology Institute.
Advanced Google Searching
Google's advanced search lets you limit your search to more reliable resources, like education sites or government sites. To do this, add site:edu or site:gov to your regular Google search.
- If you do an ordinary Google search for nutritional supplements, most of your top results will be commercial (.com) sites trying to sell you vitamins.
- If you search for nutritional supplements site:gov , the top results (except for the sponsored ads) will be sites such as the National Institute of Health and the Food and Drug Administration, which are authoritative, unbiased sources that are not trying to sell you anything.
- If you search for nutritional supplements site:edu, your top results will be from universities providing research on nutritional supplements.
Learn more Google Search tips from "6 Google Tricks That Will Turn You Into an Internet Detective" in the New York Times.
- Animal Diversity WebThe Animal Diversity Web is an online database and encyclopedia of animal natural history, built through contributions from students, photographers, and many others.
- Audubon Guide to N American BirdsThe Audubon Bird Guide is a free and complete field guide to over 800 species of North American birds. Built for all experience levels, it will help you identify the birds around you, keep track of the birds you’ve seen, and get outside to find new birds near you.
- Biodiversity Heritage LibraryThe Biodiversity Heritage Library improves research methodology by collaboratively making biodiversity literature openly available to the world as part of a global biodiversity community. From University of Washington Libraries.
- World Wildlife FundThe World Wide Fund for Nature is an international non-governmental organization founded in 1961, that works in the field of wilderness preservation and the reduction of human impact on the environment. It was formerly named the World Wildlife Fund, which remains its official name in Canada and the United States.
- American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to AnimalsThe American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is a non-profit organization dedicated to preventing cruelty to animals. Based in New York City since its inception in 1866, the organization's mission is "to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States."
- AVMA Resources for pet ownersEducate yourself on proper pet care, First Aid, and pet health concerns. Find out how you can partner with your veterinarian to improve your pet’s health and quality of life. Learn about animal welfare. Get information about veterinary careers.